Guidelines for Grants and Contracts
Guidelines for Routing Grants & Contracts through the Office of Sponsored Programs
Note: All proposals/award notices must be sent to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) for review and processing. OSP is designated as the authorized EVMS official to submit all proposals to sponsors. Principal investigators (PI) should contact OSP shortly after deciding to apply to a sponsor for funding.
Pre-award Process for Grants & Contracts:
- Once an investigator decides to apply to a solicitation or request for application, they should contact pre-award services in the Office of Sponsored Programs. OSP will add their submission date and program name to the pre-award calendar for proposal submissions. It is important that pre-award be notified as early as possible so that they can adequately accommodate all program deadlines. We suggest that you contact OSP at least seven business days prior to your deadline.
- OSP will create a pre-award file and review the program guidelines for pertinent information: budget restrictions, cost share requirements, limited submission restrictions, deadline dates, special submission instructions, etc.
- During the development of a technical response to a solicitation, investigators should also work with pre-award to create the proposal budget. A PI can provide OSP with a draft budget for review or they can provide a list of possible project costs and OSP will develop the budget.
- Once the budget is complete, OSP initiates the proposal approval form and instructs the PI on other internal forms that are required (cost match form, financial disclosure form, indirect cost rate form). The PI is responsible for signing all required forms and securing the signature of the department chair.
These forms must be sent to OSP prior to a proposal submission.
- During the writing of the technical response, the PI can forward OSP a draft copy of the proposal for preliminary review of all proposal sections. OSP can assist with completing proposal forms, budget pages, budget justifications, and other items as needed. OSP will also make contact with subcontractors or external collaborators and ensure that proper documentation has been received (i.e., scope of work, CV, budget, budget justification, etc.)
- OSP pre-award staff will assist and guide investigators throughout with proposal submission process in using the Cayuse 424 software for submissions to federal agencies.
- At least five business days prior to a proposal due date, investigators should forward OSP a near final copy of the proposal for review.
- OSP submits the proposal once it has been determined that the proposal is complete and all proposal guidelines have been met. Proposals are submitted either electronically (Cayuse 424, email) or by hard copy depending upon the program requirements.
- OSP retains an electronic copy of all final proposal submissions.
Post-Award Process for Grants & Contracts:
- Once an award is made to a PI, OSP will receive either a letter, notice of award, agreement, or other award document from the Sponsor.
- OSP will review the terms and conditions of the Notice of Award (NOA). If all is in order, a copy of the NOA will be forwarded to the PI for review and signature. A copy will also be sent to the EVMS Director of Finance for signature. The NOA will be sent back to the sponsor for execution. (Please note that some sponsors will generate an award notice without requiring EVMS signature. Also, some sponsors may request a revised budget or scope of work from the PI prior to making an award.)
- Pre-award will ensure that all internal documentation and approvals have been received. They will then generate an account release.
- Post-award will setup the project and assign a grant number. The PI can begin charging costs to the project. Post-award works with the PI and department administrators to ensure that the financial guidelines and regulations are followed in the administration of the project. Post-award is responsible for preparing all fiscal reports to the sponsor. Finally, post-award will coordinate closeout of the project when completed and all funds have been received.
OSP is located in Room 132, 1st Floor of Andrews Hall. Please contact us at 757.446.6151 with any questions.