Loan Forgiveness Programs
Loan forgiveness programs, which may assist in covering part or all of your education debt, include (but are not limited to):
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Virginia State Loan Repayment
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Students to Service Program
- Other State Loan Repayment Programs (information from NHSC or AAMC)
- Income based or income contingent loan repayment both have forgiveness components
PSLF is available for all students who work for a local, state or federal government agency or 501(c)(3) non-profit organization while making 120 on time monthly payments. Any remaining balance after working for the qualifying employer while making the required payments will be forgiven.
We hope you and your family never need this federal benefit, but the federal Stafford and PLUS loan programs offer forgiveness for death or total disability.